Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Control Freak Be Gone

Baby powder + a curious toddler =  THIS!!!

Type A.  That's what most people who know me would call me.  Being in control of every aspect of my life has been somewhat of an obsession. 

After years of trying to engineer every thing and everyone around me (more failure than success), one major thing has been my "wake up call" in realizing the happiness that comes from letting go and not having to control everything - my kids.

Not that I was willing to relinquish and surrender to the reality my children brought to my life, but after years of walking around uptight, on edge, and STRESSED OUT about every aspect of their little lives... something had to give.

I'm quickly learning the difference between raising my kids and controlling my kids' lives.  Understanding success comes from failure and life lessons are necessary for them to face the world with confidence, I am learning to let go of things that really don't matter.

So, I'm learning not to freak out and think my son's future is bleak just because he brings home a less than stellar report card. As my hubby reminded me, just because I was a straight A student doesn't mean my son will be or has to be.  OMG... he's right. How unfair it is to my son, and myself, to have this expectation. One report card does not equal complete life failure.  Get it together, Latifah

So, every day I'm learning to let go and take life as it comes. It's kinda crazy. My kids have made me tighten up but loosen up at the same time.

Still not completely free of my inner control freak, I'm learning to channel my need for order to make sense of my world and the world around me in a way that doesn't make me or those around me CRAZY!!!

Yes, we're flawed. But admitting our flaws and attempting to self-correct, makes us so FABULOUS!!!











Latifah

No comments:

Post a Comment